Beauty & Fashion
Flawless Foundation Application
June 12, 2019
Flawless foundation and concealer application can get tricky as we age. We want coverage, but want it to look natural. I personally like my makeup to feel light on my skin. We may need to hide dark circles, age spots or uneven complexion, but we don’t want our makeup caking around our fine lines and wrinkles. Choosing the right products is the first step….applying them CORRECTLY is the 2nd step.
STEP-BY-STEP VIDEO TUTORIAL
The video teaches you my tips and tricks on how to apply foundation flawlessly using my favorite tools….makeup sponges! Scroll down further for tips on how to pick the perfect products for your skin and a list of all of my favorite sponges, foundations, and concealers.
Watch how I transform from looking TOTALLY EXHAUSTED (which I was) to awake and ready to meet the day!
Step One- Moisturize
To get a flawless foundation finish, you have to treat your face like a canvas. It too needs to be prepped. Be sure to exfoliate and remove dead flaky skin and then moisturize. For “women of a certain age” it’s important to use a good under-eye cream. Fine lines and wrinkles around the skin are amplified when your skin is dry. At the moment I’m loving (borderline obsessed with) The Ordinary’s 100% Cold Pressed Virgin Marula Oil as my moisturizer. For under my eye I apply The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid then the Marula Oil on top. Once it gets really warm here in New York, I will likely switch back to Dermalogica’s Active Moist.
Step Two- But 1st Eyeshadow
Apply your eye makeup before applying your foundation and concealer. Especially your eyeshadow. If you apply your eyeshadow after applying your foundation and concealer, you are more likely to have the powder stick to your under eye makeup and ruin your hard work.
Step Three- Foundation Applicator
Let me introduce you to makeup sponges. In my opinion, makeup sponges are the key to achieving the most natural flawless foundation. You have more control when you use sponges to apply your foundation and concealer. I love the Real Techniques line of sponges. They are affordable and work brilliantly.
To use a makeup sponge correctly you must first soak your sponge under water and then squeeze all of the excess water out until the sponge is just damp. We wet the sponge so that the sponge doesn’t take in too much of the foundation, leaving nothing for your face. However, if it’s too saturated with water, it won’t hold ANY of your foundations. Damp works best.
Squeeze a quarter-sized amount of foundation to your hand or a makeup palette. Dip the flat side of your Miracle Complexion Sponge into your foundation and begin to apply all over. Use the tip of the sponge to get into the crevices around your nose. Don’t forget about your neck!
Step Four- Concealer Applicator
Choose a creamy concealer and place a nickel sized amount on your hand or on a makeup palette. Using the Mini Miracle Complexion Sponge, dip the point into the concealer and start to apply around the eye. Avoid applying it directly to the puffy, raised part undereye. Instead, trace the dark semi-circle that outlines your undereye and then, using the flat end, blend out. Continue to use the point side of your mini sponge to cover blemishes and age spots.
Tip: Using the pointy side of your mini makeup sponge, dab concealer into your nasolabial lines. This will diminish the look of the deep lines.
Step Six- Blend
Lastly, grab your Miracle Complexion Sponge and blend the concealer and the foundations so that there are no lines.
HOW TO BUY FIND YOUR PERFECT FOUNDATION/CONCEALER
- When looking to buy a new concealer or foundation be sure to go to a retail store rather than purchasing online. A beauty consultant can help you match your skin tone.
- Be specific about your needs. Ask for a creamy liquid concealer that doesn’t cake under your eye and gather in your fine lines and wrinkles, but has enough coverage to address circles if you have them.
- Tell them about your lifestyle and whether you are looking for light, medium or full coverage foundation.
- Be prepared to change foundations during winter and summer. When temps change so does your skin.
SHOP THE POST BY CLICKING ON THE LINKS BELOW
My favorite Moisturizers and Oils
My favorite makeup sponges:
My Favorite Concealers:
- Laura Mercier- Flawless Fusion Ultra-Longwear Concealer
- Chantecaille- Le Camouflage Stylo Anti Fatigue Corrector Pen
- Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer
- Bobbi Brown Foundations Stick. I choose a color 2X lighter than my skin color and use as a concealer
My Favorite Foundations:
- Laura Mercier- Silk Creme Moisturizing Photo Edition Foundation
- Makeup Forever Ultra HD- Invisible Coverage Foundation