To My Daughter
September 3, 2013
I remember the day I found out I was having a baby girl. For the first time in my life, I felt pure joy. A daughter. My daughter.
Then it hit me. The maternal responsibility. I had an obligation to raise a strong, intelligent, kind and thoughtful girl. Over the course of 9 months, I made so many promises to the tiny peanut growing inside me. As Joslin’s 5th birthday rapidly approaches I reflect on 15 things I have learned and hope to teach her.
- Laugh out loud. Often.
- Dance whenever, wherever and however the music moves you.
- Sing out loud even if you don’t know all the words.
- Love. LOVE BIG. Go all in. Expect to get what you give. If you don’t, walk away fast.
- When you heart is broken, get up, get dressed-up and go out. Movement heals everything.
- Dream big, really BIG and take risks. If you are anything like your parents, you won’t be able to escape this one.
- Smile devilishly at those who tell you, “You won’t succeed.” You know the truth.
- Surround yourself with strong, confident women who don’t pretend that everything is perfect…it never will be.
- When you cry you are not weak…it is braver to allow yourself to feel than to pretend you don’t at all.
- Stay present. Soak up the little pleasures in life. Tiny, seemingly insignificant pleasures add up to a lifetime of happiness. This one is harder than it sounds.
- There is nothing you can’t do. Tell yourself this often and it will be true.
- As your Nonna always say, “Life is only complicated if you make it.”
- You deserve nothing unless you’ve earned it. Occasionally you’ll get something for nothing, but you won’t feel good about it.
- Every night before you go to bed, kiss the ones you love and take a moment to say “thank you” out loud.
- Call your mother (me) at least once a day.
Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.
There may be an issue with the Instagram access token that you are using. Your server might also be unable to connect to Instagram at this time.
Error: No posts found.
Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.