Food & Drink
November 16, 2017
I recently hosted a 12 person sit down Italian dinner at my house. Menu planning involved me pulling from my childhood memories and my travels to the country that has my heart.
When I was 20 I was lucky enough to study and live in Firenze (Florence, Italy). My mother came to visit/spoil me for a week. I remember, like it was yesterday, having lunch outside at a neighborhood restaurant. My mother ordered beef carpaccio. I was NOT keen on raw beef, but even then I was adventurous. It was amazing. Simple and delicious….the Italian way.
Here is my interpretation of what I remember tasting that day. It’s an incredibly easy app to prepare for your adventurous guest.
- 10 ounces of thinly sliced beef tenderloin. Have your butcher freeze and thinly slice the tenderloin
- Lemon vinaigrette: whisk together 3 part extra virgin olive oil, 1 part fresh lemon juice and a 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. Mix 1/2 a cup of this vinaigrette.
- 2 cups of arugula
- 6 ounces of aged parmigiano reggiano. A salty Sicilian incanestrato cheese (sheeps milk) also works really well
- 2 Tablespoons of Maldon Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon of ground pepper
- In a bowl toss the arugula with 1.5 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Set aside
- Lay the beef slices carefully on a platter. The slices should be close together, but only slightly overlapping.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the beef slices.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of Maldon Sea Salt over the beef slices
- Top with arugula
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of Maldon Sea Salt over entire dish
- Shave about 2 to 3 ounces of parm over entire dish.
- Sprinkle the ground pepper over the entire dish
Mom, Wife, TV Host, Food Blogger
Sometimes sweet, sometimes savory
Follow for recipes & lifestyle tips #beYOUtiful
Tiktok @erekasfood 462K followers