Food & Drink
Healthy Lunch Recipes Ready in 10 Minute
June 5, 2019
Looking for quick and healthy lunch recipes you can prepare in 10 minutes or less? Look no further. If you’re a busy mom in a constant rush from work appointments to lacrosse practice to parent-teacher conferences you’re probably skipping a healthy lunch and opting for your kids leftover sandwich crusts and chicken nuggets….thinking, “Who has time to make a healthy lunch???” YOU DO and you deserve it.
HOMEMADE HEALTHY LUNCH TIPS
- Stock your fridge with healthy lean proteins. Eggs, high quality canned tuna fish, smoked salmon, and sardines are great options because they have a longer shelf life.
- Buy fruits and veggies that are in season. Head to Seasonal Food Guide, enter your region and find out what’s in season right now where you live.
- Replace easy grab-and-go processed bread and chips with healthy pre-cooked whole grains like frozen brown rice and frozen quinoa. Trader Joes and Whole Foods have tons of prepared grains and legumes. If you need to satisfy your craving for bread (I often do) try Ezekiel. Ezekiel bread is made with sprouted and whole grains.
- Don’t sabotage your lunch with high-calorie dressings or sauces. I’m particularly obsessed with the Terrapin Farms Spicy Chipotle Sauce. I use it on everything from eggs to salad to sauteed veggies. You will be addicted. Click here to grab it.
- Instead of store-bought salad dressings, make your own! How? Easy. Click here for my four guilt-free salad dressing recipes. Instead of pouring your dressing or olive oil over your salad, try using an oil spritzer to lightly coat your salads. I’ve tested several oil sprayers and in my opinion, the Misto is by far the best. Click here for a great deal on a set of 2. Use one to hole your olive oil and the other for your favorite dressing.
- Commit to memory 4 or 5 pocket healthy recipes that you love (SEE BELOW FOR MY CHOICES).
- Get yourself a great set of non-stick pans. Circulon Symmetry Non-Stick are high-quality pans that last for a long time! Click here to grab them.
Try these 4 delicious lunch recipes you can whip up under 10 minutes
1. SUNNYSIDE WITH STIR FRIED GREENS. Eggs are my go-to when I need a quick and healthy lunch recipe. Add some greens and some spice and you get this perfectly balanced lunch.
- 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups of shaved brussels sprouts
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup watercress
- 1/4 cup of baby kale
- 1/4 cup of cooked lentils (can use the pre-cooked from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 sliced scallions
- 1 TBSP of grated parm cheese
- Terrapin Ridge Farms Spicy Chipotle sauce
- Add olive oil to the pan at medium/high heat
- Add brussels sprouts to pan and salt. Pan fry for about 2/3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium/low. Make a circle in the center of your pan and gently crack the egg into the circle.
- Cover with a lid and allow the egg to cook to your liking.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Top with baby kale, watercress, lentils, grated cheese, and hot sauce
2. TOMATO AND TUNA STACK. This quick and easy healthy lunch recipe was inspired by a trip I took San Sebastian, Spain. High-quality ingredients like heirloom tomatoes, olive oil, and tuna make this simple dish so satisfying.
- 1 Large red tomato of your choice (I prefer Beef Steak tomato or an heirloom variety like a Brandywine) cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 Large yellow cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 Can of high quality canned albacore tuna (no salt or oil)
- 1 Can or jar of good quality sardines (you will only need 1 or 2 sardines
- 3 Tbs of high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- OPTIONAL-1 Quindillas vinegar pepper (can be found at WholeFoods)
- 1 Olive of your choice
- 1 Tbs of chopped parsley for garnish
- 1/2 Tsp of sea salt
- 1 toothpick
- Empty the can of tuna into a small bowl. Drizzle 1/2 tbs of the olive oil and 1/4 tsp of the sea salt. Using a fork gently mix ingredients together. You want to make sure the tuna remains chunky.
- Layer one slice of the yellow tomato onto a plate. Drizzle 1/2 tbs of olive oil on top of the tomato and dash of salt
- Layer the tuna mixture on top of the tomato slice
- Layer the red tomato slice on top of the tuna. Drizzle 1/2 tbs of olive oil top
- Place the anchovy on top of the tomato
- With a toothpick pierce one olive and one pickled pepper anchoring it to your tomato/tuna stack
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over your tomato and tuna stack
- Sprinkle remaining salt
- Garnish with parsley
- Bon Apettito!
3. GLUTEN FREE TOAD IN THE HOLE. This 5 ingredient dish tastes as good as it looks.
- 2 seedless slices of delicata squash (see notes below)
- Organic eggs
- Olive oil
- Favorite hot sauce. Recommended: Terrapin Farms Spicy Chipotle Sauce
- Favorite egg garnish (cheese, scallions, salt, pepper…go nuts)!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR DELICATA SQUASH
- Cut the top and bottom off the delicata squash then slice the delicata squash in half. .With a spoon remove all of the seeds and as much of the membrane as possible (that hairy looking stuff).
- Cut the squash into 1-inch rings
- Lightly toss the rings in olive oil
When You Are Ready to Eat:
- Place a large nonstick skillet (I prefer Circulon Symmetry) over medium heat. Coat evenly with just enough olive oil to coat the pan.
- Place the squash rings (2 at most) in the pan. Cook on one side for 2 minutes, then flip. Press down gently on the squash to create a seal with the olive oil.
- Crack one egg into the center of each ring and cover the pan.
- Cook the egg to your preference (at least 3 minutes)
- Gently lift the squash and egg with a spatula.
- Garnish with your favorite egg toppings! I went with hot sauce. I am obsessed with this mayo-free Terrapin Ridge Farms Spicy Chipotle Garnish
4. AVOCADO TOAST WITH THE PERFECT EGG. The only thing better than avocado toast is avocado toast with a perfectly cooked soft boiled runny egg right on top.
Soft boiling an egg to your liking can be trickier than you’d expect. Follow the recipe below for the perfect soft boiled egg, no matter what your preference.
(Recipe Serves 2-4)
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of bread toasted
- 1 large avocado
- 1/4 tsp of coarse sea salt
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup of micro greens or arugula (divided into four)
EGGS: Fill a medium sized pot with enough water so that the 4 eggs can be fully submerged. Bring water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, use a slotted spoon to gently lower the eggs into the boiling water.
For a 6 minute egg (see below) allow the egg to boil for 6 minutes then, using your slotted spoon, immediately remove the eggs from the boiling water and place them in a bowl of ice water. Peel just before eating.
For a 7 minute egg (see below) allow the egg to boil for 7 minutes then immediately remove the eggs from the boiling water and place them in a bowl of ice water. Peel just before eating.
SHOP THE RECIPE BY CLICKING THE LINKS BELOW
- Terrapin Ridge Farms Spicy Chipotle -The hot sauce I CAN NOT LIVE WITHOUT. I put this sh$#t on everything
- Circulon Symmetry Non-stick Pans -My all-time favorite nonstick pans
- Ezekiel-Sprout whole grain bread to satisfy your bread cravings
- Misto Oil Sprayer – I’ve tested several oil sprayers and this one is by far the best quality and easiest to use.
If you like this article you may also like “The Art of Salad Tossing (WINK)”