Food & Drink
Lentil & Vegetable Soup
March 21, 2020
As a first-generation Italian girl, lentil soup was a staple in my diet. Now as a mother, I make lentil soup for my kids a few times a month. It’s a quick and easy meal that’s packed with iron, protein and lots of healthy veggies. Every time I make it, the recipe changes depending on what veggies I have stocked in the fridge. Below is my newest incarnation with a few fun add-ins. Give it a try and tell me what you think!
- 1 sweet yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 red bell peppers diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 bag of red lentils (16 ounces)
- 3 cups of baby spinach or baby kale
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin (optional)
Option #1-Dumpling Ingredients:
- 2 cups of ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Option #2- Soft Boiled Egg Ingredients
- In a large pot heat 1/4 cup of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, and peppers and cumin (optional).
- Once the veggies are tender (about 3-5 minutes, add vegetable stock, lentils, and salt. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender and almost creamy.
- Turn off the heat and immediately mix in baby kale (or baby spinach).
- Ladle into a bowl and devour!
- Fill a medium-sized pot with water and bring to a boil
- Whisk together the eggs, ricotta, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly fold in the flour. The “dough” will feel wet. Using a soup spoon scoop the dumpling “dough” and drop into boiling water. When the dumpling rises, it is done. Boil dumpling in batches and be sure not to overcrowd your pot. Using a slotted spoon remove the dumpling from the boiling water and add to soup.
In a medium-sized pan, heat 1 Tbs of olive oil (per egg) over medium-low heat. Add egg to pan and cover until the egg is cooked the way you like it. Add cooked egg to soup bowl.
Mom, Wife, TV Host, Food Blogger-Sometimes sweet, sometimes savory
Follow for recipes & lifestyle tips #beYoutiful
Tiktok @erekasfood 399k followers